Are you prepared to Think Outside the Brick? Submit your creative and original creations to CMA’s Let’s Go LEGO® contest for a chance to have your work on display at the Columbus Museum of Art!
Exhibition: Think Outside the Brick: The Creative Art of LEGO®
Exhibition dates: November 9, 2012-January 27, 2013
Deadline for submissions: October 14, 2012
Children, teens, adults, and family groups are invited to use their own LEGO® bricks to build original creations to submit to this contest that coincides with the LEGO® exhibitions on display at COSI (LEGO® Castles) and CMA (Think Outside the Brick: The Creative Art of LEGO®). Selected finalists from each category will be placed on display at the Columbus Museum of Art from November 9, 2012-January 27, 2013.
Contestants can choose ONE of the following building categories:
- COSI’s Castle Challenge: Create a castle that defends against catapults, battering rams, and dragon attacks.
- Columbus200 Challenge: Celebrate Columbus’s 200th birthday by using exactly 200 LEGO@ bricks to build an original creation of your choice. It does not need to be Columbus-themed, but it must include exactly 200 LEGO@ pieces.
- Imagination Challenge: Build a creation that responds to the question, “What does imagination look like?”
Who Can Compete?
This contest is open to any Ohio residents who are willing to bring their submissions to the Columbus Museum of Art for display if they are chosen as finalists. Eligible age groups are:
- Children (ages 6-12)
- Teens (ages 13-17)
- Adults (ages 18 and older)
- Groups and Families (at least one adult working with at least one child between the ages of 3-17)
All finalists — who will be chosen by a group of impartial judges from the Columbus Museum of Art, COSI, and the Columbus LEGO® community — will be awarded the opportunity to display their creation at the Columbus Museum of Art. The grand prize winner in each category will be awarded additional prizes, including, but not limited to, a one-year membership to the Columbus Museum of Art or a one-year membership to COSI. Grand prize winners will be announced on January 1, 2013 during New Year’s Day at CMA.
- All contestants must provide their own LEGO® bricks. Neither CMA nor COSI can provide any LEGO® bricks for contestants.
- Only genuine LEGO® bricks, elements, and pieces may be used. You may use elements from LEGO® kits as a part of your creation, but entries made from entire kits will not be considered for display.
- You may only enter one creation. However, you may enter as an individual AND a member of a family group submission.
- Creations may not exceed a size of 18”Wx18”Lx 24”H
- All submissions must be accompanied by a photo of the creation and a fully completed submission form. All entries must be submitted electronically.
- Finalists must be willing and able to bring their creations to the Columbus Museum of Art at 480 E. Broad St. Columbus, OH 43215 between 10:00am on Tuesday, October 23 and 5:00pm on Friday, October 26, 2012.
- Works may be reinforced by glue or adhesive only for extra security.
The panel of judges will choose the top 3 submission in each category for each age group to be displayed at the Columbus Museum of Art between November 9, 2012-January 27, 2013 as finalists. A grand prize winner will be selected from each age group for each category on January 1, 2013. Finalists will be chosen based on the criteria of creativity, originality, visual appeal, and adherence to the stipulations of the category.
|August 20, 2012:||Contest opens to the public. Submissions must be uploaded electronically via the CMA website.|
|October 14, 2012:||Contest submissions end at 11:59pm. Any materials submitted after 11:59pm on October 14, 2012 will not be considered.|
|October 22, 2012:||Finalists will be decided, and notified by 5:00pm|
|October 23-26, 2012:||Finalists drop-off their LEGO@ creations at the Columbus Museum of Art between the hours of 10:00am-5:00pm.|
|November 9, 2012:||CMA’s exhibition Think Outside the Brick: The Creative Art of LEGO® opens to the public. The exhibition will include the creations of the contest finalists.|
|January 1, 2013:||Grand prize winners will be announced in each category as part of New Year’s Day at CMA.|
|January 27, 2013:||Think Outside the Brick: The Creative Art of LEGO® closes.|
|January 29-Feb 1:||Finalists may pick up their creations from the Columbus Museum of Art between the hours of 10am-5pm. All creations MUST be picked up from CMA by 5:00pm on February 1, 2013 or they become the property of the Columbus Museum of Art.|
All possible care will be taken in the handling of the finalist’s creations. Entrants accept that the Columbus Museum of Art, COSI, and their employees, volunteers, and/or governing board are not responsible for loss or damage to any entry.
Dayna Jalkanen, Educator for Family Programs
Columbus Museum of Art