Work - Job Opportunities
March 30, 2012 at
Current Job Openings at the Columbus Museum of Art
Thank you for your interest in employment at the Columbus Museum of Art. See below for current job position openings at the Columbus Museum of Art. Columbus Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Exhibition Design/Production Assistant
The Columbus Museum of Art is seeking candidates for the position of Exhibition Design/Production Assistant.
This position will assist in producing exhibition layouts, formatting and printing labels and text panels, as well as working with vendors and installing exhibition signage.
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor's degree in cultural/arts admininstration, graphic design, interior or industrial design, architecture, or related museum studies or commensurate combination of education and experience. Other qualifications include:
- Skills to design exhibitions involving CMA and outside collections, as well as to draw, create, and edit images and graphics using digital and traditional methods
- Sensitivity to elements of graphic design such as type, color and composition, and the ability to think in three-dimensions
- Strong communication and organizational skills; ability to communicate messages to a broad audience using exhibition design techniques; and ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Working knowledge of Macintosh computers and related design software
- Demonstrated knowledge of general museum operating procedures and accepted art handling standards
- Demonstrated creative problem solving and fabrication skills, including use of hand and power tools. Past preparation experience desirable
- Knowledge of exhibition lighting desirable
- Experience fabricating custom mounts and interactive displays desirable
Candidates must be willing to travel by land or air as needed and have a valid driver's license. Candidates should be flexible and must be willing to work evenings and weekends as needed. The Exhibition Design/Production Assistant generally will work 40 hours per week, with a salary rate of $30,000 annually plus benefits.
To apply, e-mail resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Human Resources, Columbus Museum of Art, 480 E. Broad Street, Columbus, OH 43215. No telephone calls, please.
Internship Opportunities at the Columbus Museum of Art
An internship at the Columbus Museum of Art provides college undergraduate and graduate students with practical work experience and in-depth training in the museum profession. While working under the supervision of one of the Museum's professional staff members, interns contribute to projects, gain insight into the functions of individual departments, and learn about the Museum's various collections, exhibitions, and programs for visitors.
Internship opportunities may be available in these departments.
(Although internship opportunities are regularly available in many departments, not all will have positions available every quarter.)
Administration: Learn how a museum operates and functions as a non-profit institution. Assist with administrative tasks and behind-the-scene work to explore what it takes to make a museum run.
Collections: Work with Museum registrars to monitor, track, and record the artworks in the collection as well as those traveling for exhibitions. Work with the archives and records of the artwork in the collection.
Exhibitions: Discover how galleries and exhibitions come together. This department manages the galleries, makes frames and cases, handles and delivers artwork, and more.
Curatorial: Learn about the artwork in CMA's collection and how exhibitions are conceived of and developed. Work with the museum collection and traveling exhibitions researching information about art and artists. (Upper-class and graduate students only please.)
Education: Find out how the museum connects the visitor with the art. Gain hands-on experience with one of a variety of programs dealing with families, students, tours, adults, exhibitions, and more.
Development: This department makes connections with businesses and individuals through endowments, memberships, and donations. Help to keep the museum strong by building key relationships.
All internships are unpaid.
Schedules are flexible.
Internships are offered in the autumn, spring, and summer.
Application due dates:
Autumn: September 15
Winter/Spring: January 15
Summer: April 15
Download the application here.
Contact Amanda Kepner at email@example.com with any further questions about internships at CMA.