Join the Hunt: CMA Photo Hunts
May 18, 2012 at
Become a modern-day Photo Leaguer by participating in CMA Photo Hunts. Each week through early September and the run of our critically acclaimed The Radical Camera, we'll be sending you out with new photo assignments, and an opportunity to flex your creative muscle. Anyone in the world can participate.
Our photo hunt assignments are inspired by the Photo League, a group of young photographers from the 1930s-1950s who took to the streets with their cameras just as photography was becoming recognized as an art, and magazines such as Life and Look were forming. Artists in the Photo League were known for capturing sharply revealing, compelling moments from everyday life. Photo Hunts were their way of giving themselves creative challenges and having fun. During Photo Hunts, Photo Leaguers were sent out to capture a word or phrase, then their work was developed, and they'd have a big party to critique and celebrate.
For the first Photo Hunt assignment here is your challenge:
- Thursday, November 24 at 3:00 PM - Thanksgiving eve
- Saturday, December 24 at 3:00 PM - Christmas eve
- Saturday, December 31 at 3:00 PM - New Year's eve
- Capture something that reflects the phrase "Sign of the Times." How you capture it is up to you
- Capture something that reflects the phrase "Sign of the Times." How you capture it is up to you.
- Tag your work on Twitter, Flickr or Instagram with #CMAPhotoHunts and #signofthetimes, plus your #city.
- For the first assignment you have two weeks (until Friday June 1, 2012). After that we'll be announcing new assignments weekly.
Along the way we'll be highlighting some of our favorite CMA Photo Hunt submissions via our blog and social media. Catherine Evans, our William and Sarah Ross Soter Curator of Photography, will select a few of her favorites, and your work might be hanging on the walls at Columbus Museum of Art come this fall.
If you need some inspiration, be sure to check out our The Radical Camera exhibition. And go inside the Photo League during our Expert View talk on May 24, 2012. Avid collectors Cathe and John Kobacker will join our Photography Curator in a discussion.
Questions about the Photo Hunts? Let us know in the comments. Happy shooting!