Thank you for your interest in employment at Columbus Museum of Art. See below for current job position openings at Columbus Museum of Art. Please check back frequently for jobs at Columbus Museum of Art, an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Second in the kitchen and catering hierarchy after the Executive Chef, the Sous Chef maintains full control of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef and manages and coordinates all food service in conjunction with the Schokko Art Café and CMA Special Events Catering.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Establish the working schedule and organize the work in the kitchen so that everything works like a “well-oiled machine.” Maintain order and discipline in the kitchen during working hours.
• Oversee the daily operation of the kitchen, meeting all the requirements of excellent quality, freshness, and variety in a cost-effective manner.
• Assist the Executive Chef in all aspects of restaurant and events operations.
• Execute menus for catered events.
• Assist the Executive Chef in daily planning and costing of menus for Schokko Art Café.
• Train and oversee kitchen personnel as it relates to cleanliness and sanitation of all food preparation and storage areas, dining areas, and all kitchen equipment. Make sure the hygiene and food safety standards are met in all stages of food preparation, starting with the ingredients and ending with the finished dish which leaves the kitchen.
• Along with the Executive Chef and Special Events Sales & Operations, meet with clients as needed to customize menus and provide food tastings.
• Train, and supervise all kitchen personnel, including temporary personnel for catered events.
• Assist the Executive Chef in the requisition and purchase of supplies in compliance with the purchase order policy.
• Responsible for control of kitchen inventory, including purchase, storage, and monthly physical inventory.
• Work closely and communicate effectively with front-of-the-house staff to enhance customer service.
• Makes sure that the professional equipment is in good condition and signals any malfunction before it affects the staff or the clients.
Studio Contingents provides visitor support through Studio enriched programming designed for families, children, and teens. This person is responsible for creative engagement, facilitation, cleaning, and execution of Studio programs. Programs include Open Studio, Birthday Parties, Summer Art Workshops, Spring/Winter/Summer Art Breaks and Community Days. This is a contingent position and will be asked to work on an “as needed” basis or at the convenience of an individual’s personal schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist Manager for Studio Initiatives and Studio Associate with program preparation, execution, and reflection for all studio programming.
• An interest in studio art, young childhood education or art therapy preferred.
• Greet visitors in a friendly manner.
• Ability to communicate and work well with the public, staff and non-museum professionals (such as teachers and caregivers) on collaborative projects.
• Demonstrated ability to interact with visitors of all ages in a friendly, professional and enthusiastic manner.
• Willingness to be flexible with work schedule (including weekends and evenings) to accommodate programs.
Gallery Associates at the Columbus Museum of Art (CMA) support the Visitor Experience Department by interacting with guests both in the galleries and at the Welcome Desk. Gallery Associates serve a dual role ensuring a positive visitor experience while maintaining the safety of both people and art. Candidates for this position must enjoy interacting with and helping people. Candidates must be able to uphold a variety of organizational policies while promoting the philosophies and values of CMA. Candidates must also be able to engage guests in conversation, verbally reinforce Museum rules, and provide positive interpersonal interactions.
Candidates must possess a flexible schedule, including weekday, weekend, and evening hours.
Availability on Thursday evenings from 5pm-9pm and Sundays from 10am to 5pm is a must. Associates are expected to work at both CMA locations (the Columbus Museum of Art on Broad St. and the Pizzuti Collection of the Columbus Museum of Art on Park St.)
Please note that this position is a bargaining unit position represented by a labor union and a collective bargaining agreement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create a first impression of welcome and warmth to all the Museum’s visitors, setting the mood and tone for each guest’s experience.
• Project an attitude of openness and access to all visitors.
• Initiate conversations with visitors and answer questions to promote a friendly and engaged gallery experience.
• Maintain safety of people and art in museum galleries and spaces.
• Ensure that visitors comply with Museum policies, by proactively communicating those policies in a direct, friendly, and respectful manner.
• Approach, engage, and if needed, redirect visitors as appropriate while respecting boundaries and personal space, thoughtfully monitoring body language and facial expression, and always communicating in a respectful and professional manner.
• Answer multi-extension telephone system, responding effectively and efficiently to all questions and requests for information, including basic visitor information, website information, programs, tour options, and processing payments. Maintain knowledge of museum departments and staff members, their programs and ongoing work, to expedite connection of callers to the appropriate staff.
• Handle cash transactions in an effective and efficient manner.
• Participate in regular professional development workshops about museum safety procedures, CMA philosophies, learning, visitor engagement and conversational strategies, professional behavior, customer service, and art and exhibition content.
• Communicates and collaborates regularly with colleagues across multiple departments to improve team effectiveness.
• Use computer-based programs ticketing systems, phone system, CCTV, fire panel to fulfill all necessary responsibilities.
Please check back for future opportunities.